Must attend a registry office with valid ID (such as Birth Certificate, passport or current utility bills). You will be asked a series of questions and once answered to the clerk’s satisfaction a replacement will be issued. If license renewal is within a year of expiry renewing your driver’s license at this time is an option.

When coming from another province or country and hold a valid driver’s license you will need to provide documentation to obtain an Alberta Driver’s License. Documentation needed:

  • Valid driver’s license
  • Proof of legal entitlement to be in Canada such as: Canadian Birth Certificate, Valid Canadian Passport, Nexus Card, Canadian Military ID, Canadian Citizenship, Secure Certificate of Indian Status, Work Permit, Study Permit or Visitors Permit.
  • Proof of Alberta Residency such as: Rental Agreement, Mortgage Documents, Utility Bills (power, gas and water-these can be electronic versions), bank statements or credit card statements or pay stubs, all documents must be no more than 90 days old. An employee confirmation letter on company letterhead indicating client name and address and a contact name and number that is not more than 15 days old. If coming from another country and holding its valid Driver’s License there may be other requirements, please check with your local registry office if you qualify for an Alberta driver’s license.

You will need to produce ID, valid insurance and plate number or registration for the vehicle you are renewing. If renewing on behalf of another party then the current registration papers will also be required.

When bringing a vehicle from another province an out of province inspection will need to be completed before registering. You will need to bring the out of province registration or out of province bill of sale to the registry office where they will produce an inspection request form for the mechanic. Once the inspection is completed and certificate issued you must update the vehicle status within 14 days or a new inspection will be required. To register you will need to provide the certificate, ownership documents and valid insurance for the vehicle. There are some exemptions to the inspection, contact your local registry office.

Proof of insurance is required to register all vehicles. This can be produced by pink card, fax or electronically.

You will need to provide the serial number.

Attend the registry office with your Driver’s License and you will be given the option of either a 3, 5 or 10 year standard or commercial abstract. If you are unable to attend to attend a Drivers Abstract Consent is needed for the abstract to be obtained by a third party.

If the marriage is taking place in Alberta, both parties to the marriage will need to attend the registry office together. You will need to provide valid photo ID, and proof of divorce (if required). You will also need to provide, current address, mothers maiden name, first and middle name, place of birth (city, province, country), fathers last name, first and middle name and place of birth (city, province, country). You will sign an affidavit in front of the clerk and they will issue a marriage license. Marriage license is valid for 90 days upon issue.

In the province of Alberta the legal age to obtain a learner’s permit is 14. There is a computer based knowledge test that has to be completed. Upon passing test a learner’s permit is issued. Learner’s permits must be held suspension free for one full year or until 16 years of age before applying for a driver’s license. In order to apply for the learner’s permit you will need to provide the following:

If a minor: Birth Certificate or passport and parental consent

If an adult: Proof of entitlement to be in Canada, and proof of Alberta residency.


Contact us and one of our brokers will be happy to assist you.

Contact Us