If you are coming from another province or country with a current drivers license you can apply for an Alberta Driver’s License.

However, if you do not have a valid driver’s license you need to pass an Alberta learners test first, and hold this certificate for a minimum of one year. At that time you can take a road test to get a driver’s license. You can book road tests online at Alberta Road Tests

If you are unable to book online, please call our Spirit River at 780-864-4215 

You will need to have the following information to apply for a driver’s license:

  • Your physical and mailing address
  • A medical if you:
    • Are over 75 years old
    • Are applying for a Class 1, 2 or 4 license
    • You have a medical condition that may impede with your capability to operate a motor vehicle
  • A supporting piece of ID:
    • A Canadian Birth Certificate,
    • Passport
    • NEXUS Card
    • Canadian Military ID
    • Citizenship
    • Secure Certificate of Indian Status
    • Non Canadian Passport with entry Visa
    • Work Permit
    • Study Permit
  • If moving from outside of Alberta, you will need to provide:
    • Proof of Alberta Residency
    • Proof of Legal Entitlement
    • Out of Province/Country Operators License
    • Visit alberta.ca for more information

If you are unable to attend a registry office personally and need someone to obtain a Driver’s Abstract on your behalf, you will be required to complete this form – Driver’s Abstract Consent.

To learn more, please visit the Alberta Government Registries Website at:



Contact us and one of our brokers will be happy to assist you.

Contact Us