View of a neighbourhood of homes
A home can be many different things: house, apartment, condo, mobile home, rented dwelling, seasonal home or a dorm room. All of these should be insured and they all need different insurance. At PVI we deal with a variety of different insurance companies where we can find the best coverages at the most competitive price to fit your individual needs.


Home Insurance:

What Protection Does it Offer?

A standard home insurance policy insures the home itself and the things you keep in it. It is typically a package policy, which means it covers both damage to your property and your liability or legal responsibility for any injuries and property damage you or members of your family cause to other people. Let’s take a look at each aspect of coverage in more detail:

Part I: Property Protection

Dwelling: This offers protection as a result of damage to the structure of your home, including fixtures, plumbing and heating, due to a covered loss like fire or hailstorm damage. You need enough coverage for the cost of rebuilding, less the cost of the land.

Other structures: This includes coverage for detached structures, such as a garage, garden shed and fixtures attached to land such as a driveway, sidewalks, patio, fence, and swimming pool.

Personal property: This covers the contents and personal items in your home such as furniture, clothing and sporting goods. It also extends to your personal belongings anywhere in the world. To determine your property’s value, we can provide you with a home inventory checklist to help you quickly and easily itemize your belongings. We recommend insuring your personal property for its replacement cost value. Replacement cost value ensures that you can replace yesterday’s purchases at today’s prices.

Loss of use: In the event that a covered loss forces you from your home, such as a fire, loss of use provides a safety net for additional expenses over and above your normal living expenses while you are unable to live in your home, up to the policy limit.

Part II: Liability Protection

This portion of your home insurance policy covers against lawsuits for bodily injury or property damage that you or family members may cause to other people. It pays for both the cost of litigation and any court awards, up to the limit of your policy. It covers you whether you are at home or away.

In the event that a visitor is injured on your property, medical payments coverage allows the person to submit medical bills directly to your insurance company. The benefit is that expenses are paid to the injured person up to the coverage limit without a liability claim being filed against you.

Additional Considerations


Damage caused by many disasters is covered in a standard homeowners insurance policy, but floods, earthquakes and other specific types of occurrences are generally excluded. Since policies can vary widely, the best way to be sure about specific exclusions is to read your own policy.

Vacant Property

If your home is left vacant due to a move or new construction, you are vulnerable to losses from vandalism and other mishaps. When a home is vacant for more than 30 days coverage will cease unless a vacancy permit is added to the policy. Please check with us to learn more about the coverage options available to protect your property

There are also many additional coverage options available for your home, such as guaranteed replacement cost, sewer backup and overland water protection.

Other types of Home Insurance:

Renters / Tenant Insurance:

Tenants insurance is a form of property insurance that provides coverage for a person who rents property from others. It provides coverage for their personal belongs as well as personal liability protection.

  • Covers your valuables, furniture and personal items in case they are stolen, damaged or destroyed due to an insured peril
  • Includes Personal Liability coverage that provides worldwide coverage for bodily injury or property damage caused to others for which you are legally responsible
  • Provides coverage if you are evacuated from your home due to natural disaster
  • Includes identity theft expense coverage, which helps to cover you financially if your identity is stolen

Renters Insurance is a very inexpensive investment that could mean significant savings if you ever suffer a loss.

Condo Insurance:

It is important to carry this insurance as your condo association’s insurance policy doesn’t cover the contents of each individual unit. Click here for more information.

By having a conversation with one of our brokers, they will be able to help you navigate all the options to ensure that you have the coverage that is perfect for you.  Contact us today.


Contact us and one of our brokers will be happy to assist you.

Contact Us